Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Why Geology?

Recently, I had encountered an old high school friend of mine, and she had asked me about my experience in university. When I told her that I was doing geology, she was surprised, and honestly had no idea what it was. She later asked me what I was intending to do with such a degree ( I laughed...), as I had a list of answers well rehearsed from the twenty-million times my parents had asked me the same question.

Personally, I want to pursue a career in geology related to oil or mining. Practically, these are the fields in demand for the upcoming years, and there seems to be no end to the growing need for gas, oil, or natural resources. If anything, the reduction in natural resources allows for more demand in the growing oil and mining fields. As a geologist, one has to be able to endure extreme temperatures, and enjoy the changes of traveling from place to place. The field work means one has to carry heavy equipment through different landscapes. It is not for everyone.

Currently, I'm just a first year, but long-term, my plan is start an environmental consulting business. Business skills are always needed in every discipline, because in the general sense, everything comes down to give and take. What can you gave? What will you take? In my opinion, most of us have it well off compared to most people. The accessibility to little everyday things like food, water, or even the internet, are seen as blessings for most people. This is my way to give back... I want to be the best I can, reach my full potential, and be able to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment